Responder
¡Bienvenido! Para que puedas participar, intercambiar mensajes privados, subir fotos, dar kudos y ser parte de las conversaciones necesitas estar ingresado en los Foros. | Ingresa | Regístrate Gratis
Zafiro
siboneyes
0 Kudos

De Pasquale’s Dozen -- Marco Rubio

De Pasquale’s Dozen -- Marco Rubio

06/25/2010

Where I come from it can be controversial to say nice things about Marco Rubio.  You see, I grew up in Tallahassee, Fla., home of the Florida State Seminoles. Rubio is a proud Florida Gator.  Despite the rivalry, one of my favorite moments of organizing CPAC 2010 was announcing via Twitter that Rubio would be our opening keynote speaker.

Rubio was born in Miami to Cuban-born parents who fled when Castro came to power.  Prior to becoming speaker of the Florida House of Representatives, Rubio traveled through Florida to solicit ideas for improving the state.  Of the 100 best ideas, 57 became Florida law.  There are lots of politicians who just talk about ideas, so it's encouraging to see good ideas come to fruition.

Prior to taking the stage at CPAC 2010, Rubio took a peek between the curtains to see the crowd as they filled up the ballroom.  All the major news networks were there to cover his speech.  He seemed to feel the excitement of the crowd and it was great to see him take the stage with confidence and conviction.  (Also, it was pretty cool when he said to me, "I follow you on Twitter!").

In 1992, President Reagan said, “America's best days are yet to come. Our proudest moments are yet to be.  Our most glorious achievements are just ahead.  America remains what Emerson called her 150 years ago, ‘the country of tomorrow.’  What a wonderful description and how true. And yet tomorrow might never have happened had we lacked the courage in the 1980's to chart a course of strength and honor.”

For Marco Rubio, those words – and that speech – are particularly significant.  The opening keynote speaker at CPAC has traditionally been an up-and-coming leader.  Past speakers include Rep. Mike Pence, Sen. Jim DeMint, and Rep. Paul Ryan.  They are all strong leaders that are carrying the banner for conservatism in the House and Senate.  Rubio would continue that course of strength and honor.  

1. If there were a television channel that only showed one movie over and over, what movie should it be?

RUBIO: Wedding Crashers

2. What’s one of your favorite movie quotes?

RUBIO: Hyman Roth in The Godfather Part 2: “And I said to myself, this is the business we've chosen; I didn't ask who gave the order, because it had nothing to do with business!”

3. In A Clockwork Orange, Malcolm McDowell is strapped in with his eyes propped open and forced to watch images until he was "cured."  If you could give President Obama, Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Leader Harry Reid the "Clockwork Orange treatment," what movie would you make them watch?

RUBIO: News coverage of Greece’s economic crisis.

4. What pop culture souvenir do you own that people would be surprised to learn that you cherish?

RUBIO: My old Tupac Shakur CDs

5. What's your current “guilty pleasure” non-news television show?

RUBIO: "The Tudors"

6. Which movie, television or rock star would cause you to lose your ability to speak if you ever met?

RUBIO: Al Pacino

7. What was the first rock concert you ever attended and where did you sit and who went with you?

RUBIO: Prince.  I went with my girlfriend, who is now my wife. We sat in the nose bleed section.

8. Tell me about a public or private moment when you thought to yourself, "This is what Elvis felt like every day.”

RUBIO: I’ve never felt like Elvis.  There’s only one King of Rock ‘N Roll.

9. What are your two favorite non-news websites?

RUBIO: Profootballtalk.com and NationalFootballPost.com

10. What’s the coolest thing you’ve been able to do because of your role in the political arena?

RUBIO: Catch passes from Dan Marino and Tim Tebow

11. What question do you wish reporters would ask you? What’s your answer to that question?

RUBIO: Why is America the greatest country in the world?  Because it’s the only place where anyone from anywhere can accomplish anything.

12. What inspired you to enter the political arena?

RUBIO: Ronald Reagan’s farewell speech at the 1992 Republican National Convention

Miss De Pasquale is CPAC director at the American Conservative Union. The